Sunday, February 12, 2012

It's a Jersey Thing

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/360401/the-jersey-problem


South park is known to hold no punches throughout its tenure on television and it continued that tradition by making New Jersey and the cast of "Jersey Shore" its next victims.

1.) Given the seemingly meteoric rise of the "Jersey Shore" how does their lives portrayed in the television reflect upon the viewers of varying ages?

2.) What does the clip suggest about people residing or who are from New Jersey and what impact does that have on them living else where?

3.) In the end of the clip Shelia says "You wouldn't understand, it's a Jersey thing." What do you think can be implied by that?

18 comments:

  1. I've watched this episode and I find this particular clip funny because of how Randy explains the spread of New Jersey. It seems that New Jersey taking over the map of the United states makes it seem like a movement that many are catching on to. It seems as though it serves to satirize the jersey shore craze, and how so many people dress and act ridiculous like the characters from the TV show. The reality show on MTV is very popular and I think this clip is focused more on those who try to be like the characters on jersey shore and not so much just viewers in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After watching this episode I believe it is focusing on the fact that the popular MTV show has been so influential in society that it is making fun of the people that try to dress and act as the people on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the continuously expanding borders of new jersey is depicting the growing popularity of a ridiculous show. Also, at the end during the monologue and the fact that the audience doesn't listen to it shows how nobody seriously cares about what happens in Jersey Shore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, after watching the episode, I understand that why half of the map of the US and also some place in Mexico would be included inside of New Jersey. It satirize a kind of situation that the so called pop culture which shows some ridiculous dressing or behaviors makes everybody feels crazy about it. But to be honest, it is not what we want the society to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The clip uses almost half of the length to describe Shelia's past life in New Jersey, in order to argue that people who come from or live in New Jersey might live with lots of crazy and undesirable behaviors and habits. It suggests that people would try to mimic the crazy and indecent behaviors from the Jersey Shore and. Through Shelia's emotion and people's reactions, I find that the satire inside the clip about the high influences that are brought by media and people's high acceptance latitude towards them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is clear that in this episode the writers of South Park are portraying how ridiculous they think the Jersey Shore show is. Do you think they are just making fun of Jersey Shore, or are they taking a shot at all of these ridiculous reality T.V. shows that are on in today's world?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being from New Jersey, although not from the area that is associated with the Jersey shore, I can really relate to this clip. Often times when I go somewhere new, such as coming to OSU, and I say I'm from NJ most people immediately associate it with the Jersey Shore. To answer Richard's question, I do think that at the end the clip does take a shot at all reality shows because it makes fun of the confessionals and makes it seem less like reality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This clip is obviously playing on the idea of the show: Jersey Show and they are classifying all people from Jersey to be like the cast from Jersey shore. It was funny because when the lady was explaining that she was from jersey and how she acted she made it sound like a disease that all people from jersey have and in south park she can control the "disease" or at least the symptoms or characteristics until she gets with other people form jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Considering Richard's comment, I feel like the producers of the show are taking a shot at all these ridiculous reality TV shows that present certain topics that may not be suitable for all ages. The fact that the mass media will film people partying with barely any responsibilities kind of sickens me. There are young adults around the country that idolize these people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The clip suggests that elements of the Jersey sub-culture (as portrayed on the reality show) are being adopted in other parts the country. Viewers may imitate or make references mockingly. But nonetheless, Guido culture is definitely more common than it used to be, or at the very least more acknowledged. At the end of the clip, Shelia says, “You wouldn’t understand. It’s a Jersey thing.” I think each region of the United States has its own cultural customs, its own vocabulary, that people in other parts don’t necessarily understand or practice themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ridiculousness of the jersey shore is definitely matched in this clip of south park. Personally, I find the show hilarious due to is popularity even though the premise of the show is borderline pointless. I also found the part when Kyle's mom admits she grew up in Jersey and "punched a lot of bitches in the face" amusing, because that actually happens on the show sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is an interesting clip. You can watch people's expressions after they hear about the situation that Jersey has spreaded to the south park, which implies that people who are outside of the Jersey have some images and stereotypes about the people from Jersey. Just as Shelia said, other people may think there are some negative behaviors or bad performances of citizens in Jersey. If that is due to the TV series "Jersey Shore", do you think how the TV series can leading people a misunderstanding?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's interesting how the clip is talking about how so many people are joining the Jersey shore bandwagon and it's beginning to permeate people from all different places. The people on the show must have a lot of influence as many people want to be apart of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I believe this clip relies more of the MTV show jersey shore. It portrays all Jersey people party people with women getting into fist fights while drinking. Being from Jersey as well, it is interesting to see how she kept quiet about originally being from Jersey. This is extremely stereotypical because there are many others form Jersey who attempt to convey that they are from there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The clip is very funny and the music in the beginning seems to create a tension situation that New Jersey is expanding to all parts of USA. However, it seems that it may not be the area but the people's attitude towards life is spreading. The clip uses some scene to depict a wild life that Sheila have before in New Jersey. In the end, Sheila's word implies that she still consider herself a New Jersey person though she says before that coming to South Park make her change.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From a point of outsider, i really don't know what Jersey thing is about, for me, it is just like a part of map. But now, after watching the video, it represents the culture and people in that area as well. It is funny to see that the woman at last pretended to talk like a narrator or Jersey native to show how ridiculous Jersey people's lives. Moreover, the map shown at the beginning of the clip is another flash point, since it shows how jersey culture has contaminated half size of the American land.

    ReplyDelete
  17. By saying "It's a Jersey thing." I think Shelia is creating an original Stereotype.
    I feel like Jersey Shore is getting so over rated though. It's to the point where it's being turned into a verb. For example, people say "I'm going to "google" it." or "Facebook it."

    ReplyDelete
  18. By the last part, I found that this like many issues in society just happened to be a Jersey fad. The fact that the show is so popular appears in this clip as posers taking over America in their own view of what they believe is to be "Jersey".

    ReplyDelete